News and Announcements
A message from Victoria’s James Kirkpatrick and his team mates:
Hello Field Hockey fans and Red Caribou Supporters!
Now that Labour Day and a brief hockey rest is behind us your Men’s National Field Hockey Team (the Red Caribou) is back on the field and training hard for the 2018 Odisha Hockey World Cup in Bhubaneswar, India. It’s hard to believe it’s been over 14 months since we qualified for the World Cup with a memorable 3-2 win over India in London, England. After a training period here at home in September, we’re back on the road in October, traveling to New Zealand to play a series of matches against the Black Sticks before returning home for a few weeks of final training and preparation. Finally, on November 17th we’re heading east. We’ll be stopping off in Japan for a few days for a final training camp and test matches against the recently crowned Asian champions and 2020 Olympic hosts, before moving on to India. All that leads us to the opening match of the tournament on November 28th against Olympic Silver Medalists, Belgium.
We hope you’re as excited for the next few months as we are. We’re writing today in hopes that you’ll help us along on our journey. As was done in 2010 and 1998, we’re putting together a special edition Red Caribou World Cup t-shirt. It’s not uncommon to see an old version around the hockey pitch today, and we hope you’ll proudly wear your 2018 version during the tournament and for years to come.
This year’s shirt will feature our Red Caribou logo on the front along with ‘World Cup 2018’ and ‘Bhubaneswar, India’. The back of the shirt will say ‘Red Caribou’ and ‘Proud Supporter’ along with a long list of our supporters, which we hope will include you!
We are asking all Field Hockey fans in Canada as well as companies, clubs, schools, book clubs… anyone who loves the game to add their name to the back of the shirt as a way of showing who is supporting us in India. Whether you’re wearing your t-shirt in the stadium in Bhubaneswar or back home watching on tv… we’ll know you have our back.
Feel free to put your name, a message of support, your website, company name, whatever you want! Our only ask is that you limit your line to 15 characters.
For $100, you can have your name/message on the back, along with a shirt for you to keep.
For $500, you can have you or your company’s name/logo displayed on the back of the shirt, as well as a souvenir shirt for you to keep.
We ask that everyone who is interested let us know by Oct 15 so we can start with printing and delivery.
Many thanks and all the best for your hockey season. Go Canada!
Canadian Men’s National Field Hockey Team
- Method of Payment**
Cheque, made out to ‘Red Caribou’
e-transfer to: email@example.com
This weekend, Oct. 5-7, will be action-packed for field hockey!
The Annual Bridgman Cup high school girls tournament will be on all day from Friday to Sunday. Local teams Oak Bay, GNS, Mount Douglas, Cowichan Secondary and SMUS will all be participating in the 16-team tournament. Friday games run from 10am-6pm, Saturday games are 8am-5pm and Sunday games start at 8am and end with the final at 2:00 pm.
A full Bridgman Cup schedule is attached to this notice.
In addition, the Vikes women’s field hockey team are hosting the Legends Cup match up against the UBC Thunderbirds. The Vikes and T-Birds will clash on both Saturday, Oct. 6 and Sunday, Oct. 7 at 11:00 a.m. The Vikes and T-Birds are participating in a school rivalry series across several sports and at the end of the year a new trophy, the Legends Cup, will be presented to the winning school The series will run annually. For more information and a full schedule visit govikesgo.com/legendscup
Tickets for the Vikes games are available online at govikesgo.com/tickers or in person at the CARSA Membership Services Counter.
VENDORS IN VICTORIA
With the Bridgman Cup happening there will be lots of vendors on site on Friday, Saturday and some of Sunday. Be sure to come to UVic to shop this once-a-year opportunity to buy from vendors:
- Field Hockey Shack
- Hockey King Sports (AK Pro)
The document Bridgman_Cup_Turf_Schedule_2018_V1.pdf was attached to this post.
Deb Whitten, former National goalkeeper for Canada, is being inducted into the Greater Victoria Sports Hall of Fame on Saturday, October 27 at the Westin Bear Mountain Golf Resort & Spa. Tickets for this event are $135 and can be purchased at www.gvshof.ca/events.html.
As a goaltender, Deb was a member of the Canadian National Field Hockey team and competed in the World Cup in 1990 and 1994, the Pan American Games in 1991 (silver medallists) and 1995 (bronze medallists) and the Olympic Games in 1992. She continues to give back to the sport community as she currently sits on the Board of Directors at PISE and serves as President of the Board of Directors for BC School Sports.
Vancouver Island Field Hockey Umpires Association (VIFHUA) is looking for a new Umpire Coordinator! The VIFHUA Umpire Coordinator will be responsible for scheduling, assigning and communicating with Field Hockey Victoria umpires. The position spans the start of the first regular season games to the end of the playing season, and is paid an honorarium of $2000, in two payments. Full job description and application details are attached to this posting. Application deadline is Friday, August 31, 2018.
The document JOB_-_VIFHUA_Umpire_Coordinator_-_2018.pdf was attached to this post.
The VILFHA Fall Annual General Meeting will be held:
Tuesday, September 4 at 7 pm
Room 329A, PISE, 4371 Interurban Road
* As per Regulations 4.1 c) Fines shall be imposed on any team: iv. For not having a Team Rep at Council meetings and/or General Meetings $25.00
The meeting agenda is attached to this notice. We will be ratifying the 2018 Fall schedule at this meeting and putting forward the following motion for some proposed amendments to the Constitution, Bylaws and Rules& Regulations to ensure they are in line with the Societies Act:
The members of the Vancouver Island Ladies Field Hockey Association resolve to repeal and replace the existing Constitution, Bylaws and Rules and Regulations of the Vancouver Island Ladies Field Hockey Association with the following documents to meet the requirements of the Societies Act (2016) of British Columbia:
• Constitution of the Vancouver Island Ladies Field Hockey Association, 2018
• Bylaws of the Vancouver Island Ladies Field Hockey Association, 2018
• Rules and Regulations Vancouver Island Ladies Field Hockey Association, 2018
We will also be reviewing three vacant Executive positions that need to be filled. We would like to thank the hard work and dedication of the following VILFHA Executive members:
• Ronnie Lee, Director of Operations
• Kate Knappett, Director of Events
• Ali Lee, Director of Communications
• Teresa Gregus, Secretary
These women volunteered a lot of their time to help support the League, and now we need some others to step up! See below for position descriptions and let Sandy Grimwood (firstname.lastname@example.org) know if you are interested in volunteering or have any questions.
Director of Events:
• Oversee the activities of the Events committee members and ensure that events are staged professionally and efficiently.
• Offer support and director to the committee members.
• Maintain regular contact with the committee members.
• Liaise with the Director of Communications to ensure that events are properly publicized.
• Ensure that all events are used as fund raising opportunities.
• Liaise with the Field Hockey Victoria Special Events Committee.
• Attend Executive and Council meetings to report on the activities of her committee members.
• Have the following committee members reporting to her: Bunyan Tournament, Bridgman Cup, Masters Tournament, Finals Day, Social
• Events, Hosting Committees and other committee members as necessary.
• Assist the President in the duties of her office.
• Carry overall responsibility for the administrative side of the league’s operations, and support and provide advice to the Treasurer and Director of Membership, Events, and Communications. In the event of a Director’s absence or resignation the Second Vice-President will assume the Director’s role.
• Act as the chair of the Awards Committee
• Keep minutes of all meetings of the Association and issue minutes to members.
• Issue notices of meetings of the Association.
• Conduct the correspondence of the Association.
• Have custody of the records and documents of the Association, save those required to be kept by the Treasurer.
• Be a signing officer of the Association.
Director of League Operations:
• Oversee the activities of the League Operations Coordinators and ensure that tasks are completed in a timely fashion.
• Offer support and direction to her Committee members.
• Ensure that the playing objectives of the Association are met in that all teams play games on a regular basis, teams are treated fairly in terms of the use of the fields, umpiring assignments and schedule, and all teams are informed of changes to the schedule and other pertinent intonation
• Compile weekly results and standings
• Attend Executive and Council meetings to report on the activities of her committee.
• Have the following committee members reporting to her: Scheduling, Umpiring, and Facilities
We look forward to seeing you on September 4!
The document Fall_General_Meeting_of_VILFHA_-_2018_agenda-small.pdf was attached to this post.